Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda




The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda
Publisher: St. Martins Griffin
Release date: May 8, 2012
Pages: 304

Blurb (GR)

In a world where humans have been eaten to near extinction, seventeen-year-old Gene has only managed to survive by painstakingly concealing his true species. If the bloodthirsty creatures surrounding him knew what he really was--a human--he would be devoured swiftly and terribly. When Gene is chosen to participate in the government-sponsored hunt for the last remaining humans, it thrusts him into the fight of his life--and into the path of a human girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible. Now, he must learn the art of the hunt and elude his fellow hunters whose suspicions about his true human nature are growing. But most importantly, Gene and the girl he loves must find a way to forge a life together in a brutal world that's bent on their destruction.
With his propulsive plot and highly developed characters, readers will find it impossible to resist the vivid world Andrew Fukuda has created in this stunning standout debut. Readers craving a book that grips and mesmerizes them like "The Hunger Games "will love "The Hunt."


 My Thoughts:
This is another book that started out wonderfully creepy and ended up not following through with its promise.

Gene is a heper aka human. He lives among vampires and they are the not so nice ones. The first few pages describe what happened when a kindergartner walks into a classroom accidentally during nap time and yeah it is very VERY icky and terrifying. These vampires are so different than any ones I have ever read before. For instance instead of laughing they scratch their wrists and their idea of making out consists of the guy placing his elbow inside the girls armpit area. Yes you read that right and I am definitely thinking what I thought while reading a certain intimate part. My question is how in the world do they procreate this way?? Either the author didn't think that part through or I am missing something. Anyway back to the story, so Gene has to disguise himself as a vampire to survive and this is a very tricky thing to do. He has to file his teeth, keep his order at a minimum and the most important thing never draw attention to himself. Well when he is chosen to participate in The Hunt, a game where vampires hunt hepers, he knows that sooner or later he will be discovered and it is a race against time to find a way to save himself.

Sounds awesome right? I thought so too until I got halfway through and had a migraine from reading the same descriptions over and over and over again. I still really like the storyline. I think the author did a great job bringing back the evil vampires and like I said these vamps are very bad. The creepy factor was amazing. That is why it is so hard to give this book less than 4 stars. What hurt it imo was the repetition. I get that these vampires drool a lot when they smell hepers and that when they eat they drip blood down their chin. I don't need to read that particular description 30 times to understand. I really think that if all that were taking out this book would totally rock. I will say that the ending was a huge shocker and cliffhanger so while I did give this one 2.5 stars I will definitely pick up the sequel to see how it all plays out.

Rating: 2 Snowflakes

2 comments:

  1. Great honest review. Not all books can be 5 snowflakes lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

    Click Here
    Gust.com

    ReplyDelete