Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review:Girl Meets Underworld by Jess Watkins

Girl Meets Underworld (Girl Meets Underworld, #1)
Girl Meets Underworld by Jess Watkins
Publisher- Opis Publishing
Released-Feb 12th 2013
Purchase-Smashwords / Amazon 


Having lost her mother and brother, Stella stands on the roof of her building, about to jump. She is stopped by a handsome young man, who jumps first. Somehow, he survives and Stella soon discovers that Conner holds a dark secret and more than a passing connection to her own unhappiness.
But Conner isn’t the only man to take an interest in Stella. Will is dangerous. He has mood swings, a crazy older brother and the ability to heal abnormally quickly. Stella knows what Conner is, but what exactly is Will – and why does he appear to know more about Conner than she does?

My Thoughts:
In the city of King's Port, Stella Lockhart is on the roof of her building about to jump to her death. She wants the pain to disappear, she wants to make it better, she wants to reunite with her mother and brother again. But a strange man sitting on the same ledge stops her by jumping off first, changing her entire world  and everything she thought she knew, forever.

Girl Meets Underworld has all the fun stuff I like in my paranormal reads. Vampires, Werewolves and the human girl stuck in the middle of an age-old grudge. 
To be perfectly honest, if your looking for something different in this genre, then you may be disappointed since this isn't anything I haven't read before in other books. But if your anything like me who just simply likes reading another take on this lore, then you should find this escape quite entertaining.

Jess Watkins writes a ruthless and almost unforgiving story about a girl who never knew that Vampires and Werewolves even existed, but  gets thrown into both their dangerous worlds and ends up caring greatly for both. 
I really enjoyed these characters. They're well developed and don't ever do what I expected.
Stella is the kind of protag that is very strong minded. I love the way she reacts. She knows that Vampires and Werewolves aren't suppose to be real, but yet here they are, taking over her entire world. I love that she's curious but cautious. I also love that it's not insta-love and she doesn't automatically fall to their feet. Friendships are established first which was nicely refreshing.
The second we meet Conner we can feel that calculating but smooth tone that breaths mysterious, alluring and dangerous. Conner is the type of guy that you can't help but like instantly. He's charming, kind, protective and has a fun playful side that makes me smile.
Will is a little harder to understand. He's more of a puzzle. Has a cruel brother, seems to get pushed around a lot but you can tell he cares for Stella. Both guys are great, but I already have my favorite.
The only character that I didn't care for was Stella's long lost father. He was controlling and bad tempered in the beginning of the story, but he seemed genuinely glad to have his daughter back in his life. But as the story moves on, his true nature is revealed making him down right awful and even terrifying. I was a little upset with this character-change up, in fact, I had to walk away. Now this isn't a bad thing, in fact, any book that can make me feel that strongly, is always a good thing. It means it made me care.

All in all, Girl Meets Underworld is a promising beginning to a new series.  I ended up enjoying what this book had to offer. The writing is well done, the storyline is intriguing, fast paced and suspenseful. I liked the very sweet charming love story and the twist in the end makes me look forward to the next installment.

(Thanks to Jess Waltin for sharing your story with us in exchange for a honest review)

Find the author:
                                                                    
                                                                  4 Snowflakes 

0 comments:

Post a Comment