Sunday, December 1, 2013

Review: Left Drowning by Jessica Park

Left Drowning by Jessica Park
Publication Date: July 16, 2013
Publisher: Skyscape
Genre: This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.
What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

My Thoughts
Left Drowning was my first exposure to Jessica Park and I was really excited to jump into this novel. I heard great things about this book and her Flat Out Love novel as well, so I was all prepared for a sure love match.

Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. I had the hardest time connecting with her main characters Chris and Blythe from the beginning. Seeing as they had an insta-connection and attraction felt a bit contrived. I truly tired to muster up some compassion for these two characters that lost their parents, but there was something missing that I just couldn't quite grasp.

The biggest show stopper for me was the blatant disrespect for Catholicism. I'm not religious by any means, but some of the stuff that was said was just downright wrong. To make such a careless comment about the Virgin Mary and a vibrator in the same sentence is disrespectful and ignorant. There was more said, but that's all I'll reference for now.

Aside from the lack of funny, I felt there were one too many moments that felt contrived and forced. Chris and Blythe's initial meeting at the river and the drawn out stone skipping scenes was a bit much. When Blythe dumped her baggage of "My parents are dead" within the first few minutes of their meeting, I'm shocked that Chris didn't go running for the hills.

Overall, I really wanted to fall in love with this book, but when there's no connection with the characters and the story isn't coming together in my heart or my head... I just can't find the motivation to see it through. I dumped them more than half way through their story. Truly sorry...

PS. I'd categorize Left Drowning as a New Adult 17+ read due to some of the scenes.
2 Snowflakes

7 comments:

  1. I didn't like this one either. "I had the hardest time connecting with her main characters Chris and Blythe from the beginning. "--YES! Same here. Plus, Chris was such a douche after they got the kinky on. "When Blythe dumped her baggage of "My parents are dead" within the first few minutes of their meeting, I'm shocked that Chris didn't go running for the hills. " --HAHAHAHHA. My thoughts exactly! This was just.. wrong on so many levels and "wtf?!?!!" weird. Also, I didn't care for any of the characters other than Eric. Estelle was so overbearing that wow, I just couldn't keep up with her. Other than that, I'll read Flat-Out Love because I own a paperback and I really want to give it a try. I just wasn't a fan of this and I'm glad that finally someone agrees on some of the ridiculousness lol. Thanks for sharing :)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't care for this book either Siiri, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This web site is really a walk-through for all of the info you wanted about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you’ll definitely discover it…. Agen Bola Online

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology.. Poker Online Indonesia | texas holdem poker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nicely written along
    with contain almost all significant information. I’d
    like to see more posts such as this.
    Bokep Pelajar

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, you are good, i like your post and i still waiting our next post!
    scandal video

    ReplyDelete