Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: Perfect Lies by Kiersten White

Perfect Lies (Mind Games, #2)Perfect Lies by Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: February 18, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / B&N
Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.

But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them.

My Thoughts:
I loved this!  Not only was this book exactly what I needed to kick off 2014, but it totally got me out of a reading slump that I felt coming on.  Woot!!

Perfect Lies takes off where Mind Games left us.  Fia made a HUGE decision at the end of Mind Games and this is the aftermath.  We get to see both Fia and Annie's POVs again which I loved and this story in my opinion was so much more dark and twisted.  Fia is really broken, she is being used by everyone and she doesn't know who to trust.  For someone who has perfect instincts it sure makes things all complicated when she can't decide who is right and who is wrong.  It feels like everybody has their own agenda even James her love.  Annie on the flip side of this is trying to believe in the chaos that Fia has created and keep safe everyone she can.  Talk about a crazy ride!

This book showed just how broken Fia was.  She was not all together in the first book, but in this one she truly is completely broken.  I felt so bad for her and I just wanted to scream at everyone to leave her alone.  She needed to get away from everyone including James.  If the tapping got on your nerves in the first one then you will be happy to know that it is somewhat toned down in this one and we get an explanation for it that really blew my mind.  If the explanation was in the first one I didn't remember so it was a huge revelation to me in this one.  All her taping is still there, but to me it felt totally different and didn't take away from the storyline.  I think Fia is one of my favorite characters ever and she is one kickass girl.

I felt for Annie in this one, but not as much as I did in the first one.  Her part was a little different to me, she was trying to get in touch with Fia and at the same time she had this whole other storyline about her finding love.  It felt a little out of place and honestly I don't think the romance added to the story at all.  Fia and James was a romance with an agenda so it fit, but Annie's just didn't fit for me.  Her part in the story came alive in the end and I did see it coming which did disappoint me.  The major reason why I love these books is because of the shock factor and I felt let down that I figured out what would happen in the end.  I think if the author had toned down a certain scene then I wouldn't have guessed it, but I did and so it was kind of anticlimatic.

That being said though I still totally loved this book. The back and forth with the POVs and the timeline really screwed with me and I can see that annoying people, but for me it worked.  I liked seeing the overlapping and how one thing influenced another.  It was beyond mind twisty and just awesome.  I really hope that this author writes more in this style!

4.5 Snowflakes



4 comments:

  1. I liked this one much better than the first. It took me a long time to try and get into Mind Games and even then I wasn't thrilled with it. But I really love how Annie blossoms in this one and we get to see so much more of her than the timidity that she was in the previous book. Poor Fia is so broken, seems like it won't be possible to fix her at all. And I really hated James even more in this book than the last. He's just, ugh…I have no words for what he is! Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the opposite, Fia totally grabbed me in the first one and I was more connected to her than Annie in this one too. I liked that Annie tried to be more too. It was time for her to step up and save Fia. Yeah I don't think Fia will ever be able to fix herself. She is just too broken. The most she can hope for is to be able to live with what she has done. OH James! I forgot to mention him! He was such a jerk in this one! I don't think he would have ever followed through with their plans. I wish we could have one more book that wraps everything up because I think James is just beginning his story and his seems tainted with darkness. You too!

      Delete
    2. I agree. I wish there was another book. Maybe she'll write a novella? I kind of need to know what really happens. While it was wrapped up, I feel there could definitely be more for sure! and James is totally tainted. I wonder how much of it is him and how much of it is how he was raised and who raised him.

      Delete
  2. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. Judi Bola Online Agen Sbobet Ibcbet

    ReplyDelete