Monday, July 14, 2014

Review: (Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn

(Don't You) Forget About Me(Don't You) Forget About Me by Kate Karyus Quinn
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: June 10, 2014
Purchase: Amazon / B&N
Welcome to Gardnerville.

A place where no one gets sick. And no one ever dies.

Except...
There’s a price to pay for paradise. Every fourth year, the strange power that fuels the town exacts its payment by infecting teens with deadly urges. In a normal year in Gardnerville, teens might stop talking to their best friends. In a fourth year, they’d kill them.

Four years ago, Skylar’s sister, Piper, was locked away after leading sixteen of her classmates to a watery grave. Since then, Skylar has lived in a numb haze, struggling to forget her past and dull the pain of losing her sister. But the secrets and memories Piper left behind keep taunting Skylar—whispering that the only way to get her sister back is to stop Gardnerville’s murderous cycle once and for all.
My Thoughts:
What a mind*@*!!  After reading two books from Ms.Quinn I can say that she is at the top of my must read list!  Her stories are just totally bizarre, but they are unforgettable...no I did not mean to make that connection ha!

Okay so this story where to begin...I guess I will start with Sky.  She is our main character and well her life isn't the norm.  She lives in a town called Gardensville, this town is where people go who have terminal diseases go to be cured.  There is something about this town that cures people, but with that cure comes the fourth year curse.  Every fourth year a young person will suddenly go crazy and end up killing people.  Messed up right?!  Well this curse is just accepted and is part of everyday life in Gardensville.  Sky's story isn't really about the fourth years though its about her sister Piper.  Piper succumbed to the curse and now Sky has to find a way to get her back from the reformatory (the place where all the fourth years go to be rehabilitated).  The story takes off in its own direction and man is it crazy!  I learned from reading Another Little Piece that you can't even begin to puzzle everything together because the author has several tricks up her sleeve.  So if you think you know what happens in Gardensville think again my friend, think again.

I really liked Sky.  Yes she was a little wishy washy and I screamed at her to stop taking the forget me nots, but overall I really liked her character.  She didn't really come alive to me until the end, but that didn't bother me.  I was totally engrossed in her story and I wanted to know more about her and her unique ability.

The thing I loved the most about this book was the writing.  The author has an amazing way with words that just captivates me.  I literally hang on every word that I read.  I don't normally do this, but there is just something about Ms.Quinns writing.  It's not beautiful, but I guess the word I am looking for is haunting.  Every sentence left me wanting more and I just couldn't wait to find out how she wrapped up the story. 

This book felt like a lighter version of something Stephen King would write.  It is dark, twisty, and just bizarre.  I personally love these stories and this is another one that I would love to see on TV.  I think it would make a fantastic series!

On a side note I did also love the song titles that were chosen!  Every time a new one would pop up I would have to give myself a minute to sing the song.  Fun!

4 snowflakes




8 comments:

  1. Great review, Crystal! I have had this on my list for awhile - now I really can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love this authors work! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I read Another Little Piece, and that story creeped me out big time! This author does have some crazy stories. I'm adding this one to my TBR list right now. I love Utopian novels. Great review!

    Amber @ Fall Into Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALP was so super creepy! I think this one is just as creepy! I hope you enjoy it! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I have this one for review so I'm glad to see that most people are enjoying it! I read her first book and it didn't really click with me so I hope I like this one better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy it! The style is the same as ALP so I'm worried you may have the same results as the first. Crossing my fingers you love it though!

      Delete
  4. I have heard amazing things about Kate's writing, but still need to pick up a book by her, I think that this book would definitely be something that I would enjoy, also I do love books that mess with you head! Lovely review Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you have to pick this one up Jasprit! I really hope you enjoy it!! Thank you!!

      Delete