Friday, August 8, 2014

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
Published May 4, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Amy Curry is not looking forward to her summer. Her mother decided to move across the country and now it's Amy's responsibility to get their car from California to Connecticut. The only problem is, since her father died in a car accident, she isn't ready to get behind the wheel. Enter Roger. An old family friend, he also has to make the cross-country trip - and has plenty of baggage of his own. The road home may be unfamiliar - especially with their friendship venturing into uncharted territory - but together, Amy and Roger will figure out how to map their way.


My Thoughts
(Originally read: September 2010)
Undeniably 5 Stars!!

I know what I want to do… I want to go on an Epic Detour… my final destination isn't clear but I have a pretty good idea of the places I want to see.

I want to travel to Yosemite and buy a Bear Essentials t-shirt, drive on the Loneliest Road in America and hike a pair of my sneakers on the tree along the way, go to Kentucky and eat a Hot Brown and derby pie, visit Graceland and graffiti the wall and get a pair of Elvis-style sunglasses gold-trim and all, I'll even eat a messy burger and spicy fries in Kansas, all the while driving with the windows down and a root beer by my side. I shall call myself Hillary and my co-pilot will be Edmund. That is my plan... and it is a good one…

Wow I have a HUGE crush on this book. It was great and I loved every bit of detail found between pages 1 to 343! Everything thatMorgan Matson included in her story was brilliant. The playlists not only have some great songs on them, but they will definitely blow my iTunes budget out of the water for the next few months. I plan on owning just about all of Roger's songs. The menu and food receipts were clever additions... whenever I see cream soda and rootbeer I'll remember Roger and Amy. The Big Bear itinerary made me want to go on a hike, and I don't even mountain hike, but I want to do that now. The scrapbook pages were priceless, and overall Amy & Roger's Epic Detour was absolute perfection!

This story has one of the best set of secondary characters I have ever read. They made Roger and Amy's detour inspiring, exciting and enjoyable. Bronwyn and her gift to Amy was endearing. I loved how she took away Amy's camouflage and gave her back a bit of confidence. Drew was spot on with his advice to Roger. Telling him There sometimes isn't' much of a difference between a knight's quest and a fool's errand was the turning point, I feel, for Roger's self-revelation. Leonard was the most aww-worthy video game geek I have ever met. His Make haste! You must save Princess Amy! had me sighing like a lurves-struck goof. Lucien and his decapitated moose head made me crack up! Don't ever stop hedging Lucien... NEVER! Walcott's demo??? I want it!!

So pretty much I loved this book. Can you tell??? I loved it to pieces! I suggest you stop what you're doing now and read this book. It's the best fictional journey I've been on in a long time.. so go on... go on a detour you won't regret it. :)

Morgan Matson, I am an instant fan that can't wait to read more of your brilliance!
5 Snowflakes

3 comments:

  1. I love this book too! I just wish we got to see more of Amy and Roger together at the end.

    Eileen @ BookCatPin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really good book! I'll check it out!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like it could be my new favourite! Great review!

    ReplyDelete