Monday, February 23, 2015

Review: Sisters of Blood and Spirit by Kady Cross

Sisters of Blood and SpiritSisters of Blood and Spirits by Kady Cross
Expected Release on March 31, 2015
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Purchase: Amazon
Wren Noble is dead—she was born that way. Vibrant, unlike other dead things, she craves those rare moments when her twin sister allows her to step inside her body and experience the world of the living.

Lark Noble is alive but often feels she belongs in the muted Shadow Lands—the realm of the dead. Known as the crazy girl who talks to her dead sister, she doesn't exactly fit in with the living, though a recent suicide attempt and time in a psych ward have proved to her she's not ready to join her sister in the afterlife.

Now the guy who saved Lark's life needs her to repay the favor. He and his friends have been marked for death by the malevolent spirit of a vicious and long-dead serial killer, and the twins—who should know better than to mess with the dead—may be their only hope of staying alive.
My Thoughts:
I absolutely loved this book!  My reading preferences are really starting to change lately and this book was everything I wanted!

Lark is a twin and she talks to her twin everyday.  This is great for Lark except that her twin, Wren, is dead and has been dead since birth.  Lark knows she's not crazy, but not everyone thinks that way and after having to go back to school and face her classmates after her suicide attempt life just well sucks.  Things take a strange turn when a few of classmates need her help and Wren's.

Some people might not like Lark, but I loved her.  She was really tough, snarky, and the big B most times, but I still adored her.  She has had to put up with a lot of stuff including her parents shipping her off to live with her grandmother so I can see why she is the way she is. Could she have toned it down at times yes, but I wouldn't have wanted her too. She was who she was and I think the author did an incredible job at writing here.  Wren was the opposite and it was nice having that balance.  I think it helped Lark ground herself a little and it helped her be able to face her daily life. 

The story was awesome!  It was gross and creepy and just so cool!  I really liked all the ghosts stuff and I think the author did an amazing job at adding things I haven't read before. I have to hand it to her to because the big baddie was chill worthy!  The story had a nice balance between romance, plot, and funny spots.  Nothing seemed fake between the characters. They all knew where they stood and nothing was sugared coated or hidden.  I really appreciated the honestly that was thrown in.  I would like to know more about the Shadowlands (the place where Wren goes to get away from the living).  I think there is a whole new world there and I can't wait to see it developed.  Plus I think Wren has a dark side and I'm really curious to see that side of her and I want to know more about Larks abilities.  I have a feeling all will be explored in the next installment.

The only thing that bothered me about this was the last few pages.  Something happens that I think was out of character and I am really hoping the author isn't going to throw in a dreaded love triangle.  I like where the characters are with each other and I don't think the story needs that. It is way stronger without the added drama.  Other than that this story was amazing and just what I have been looking for!

4.5 Snowflakes



5 comments:

  1. This sounds so creepy/awesome! I have never heard of it before, but it sounds like the type of weird that is totally my style. I really hope they don't pull the dreaded love triangle into the story, that would be tragic. Still, I can't wait to check this out when it is released!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cassleros you have to read this! It was so good and I CAN.NOT.WAIT. for the seqeul!!! SO tired of love triangles! I don't understand why authors are still using them! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. I loved Kady's steampunk series. I can't wait to read this book. Ghosts are my kind of thing and knowing Kady's reading, I know I will enjoy it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I just got approved for this on Netgalley and your review has me eager to read it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly inspired by this online journal! Extremely clear clarification of issues is given and it is open to every living soul. I have perused your post, truly you have given this extraordinary informative data about it. Bandar Bola

    ReplyDelete