Friday, March 13, 2015

Review: Twist by Karen Akins

22456905
Twist by Karen Akins
Publisher-St. Martin's Griffin
Released-March 31st 2015
Pre-Order-Amazon / B & N



The unbelievably thrilling sequel to the time-travel YA novel Loop.Bree Bennis finally has it all—a non-comatose mother, an uber-hot (albeit anachronistic) boyfriend named Finn, and a newfound mission to protect the timeline from those who would skew it for their own gain. But when she leans over one day to smooch said boyfriend, her lips meet those of her arch-nemesis Wyck instead. The timeline has been altered, and Bree is caught in the crosshairs. But when she goes back to repair the damage, she is stopped by none other than her Future Self, who delivers an urgent message: Someone is kidnapping Shifters from the distant past. It’s up to Bree to stop them. But first, she has to figure out who…and why.To follow the trail of chronocrumbs, Bree reluctantly accepts her new undercover gig as Wyck’s girlfriend. Everything goes spiffy until Finn shows up in the 23rd century on the eager arm of a gorgeous fellow Shifter. Blark. Even as Bree struggles with jealousy, she battles the nagging dread that Finn might be better off with someone less chronologically complicated. Her worst fear is confirmed when Finn becomes the kidnapper’s next victim. As Bree zeroes in on the culprit, they unravel her life one timeline-change at a time. She realizes that she alone has the power to save herself and everyone she loves. But to do that, she may lose Finn forever.
My Thoughts:
Karen Akins debut novel, Loop was one of my favorite book in 2014 and my favorite time travel book ever so needless to say I couldn't wait to make grabby hands for the next installement, TwistI didn't think it was possible but I think I loved this one even more. Filled with non-stop action and pure entertainment from the first page right, intill the end.

Between the spontaneous time travelling, the responsibility of the reverter and trying to maintain a cross-century relationship, Bree is a busy girl, but she's finally happy with the way things have been, but all that changes one night when someone decides to change their timeline and changing Bree's in the process. Shifters are being kidnapped, her once friend Wyck is either the good guy or the bad guy and her boyfriend Finn is the next victim in ICE's plans. It's a race against time and an inevitable fate to save the ones she loves the most, but Bree may end up losing more then she's willing to give up.

Wow! What a mind-bender! Akins really knows how to write some awesome time travelling craziness. Man, my mind is still whirling with everything that's happened. There is so much going on here plot wise I wouldn't even be able to sum it up even if I wanted to, but one things for sure, I could not stop reading this page turning adventure. Time travel books has always been a hard sell for me, I adore the concept mind you but couldn't always get into them till now. I think it's the way Akins tells this story, it's incredibly exhilarating and a heart stopping adventure combined with humor, hug-worthy moments and a passion for the space-time continuum. I was always connected and invested with each character and while I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little confused at one point or another, I was still completely aware with everything happening. So in short, there was a lot to process but dame if it wasn't a blast doing it.

I adore Bree and Finn! Seriously, they're one of my favorite  couples evah. They give a whole new meaning to complicated long distance relationship, but they make it work. I love their humor and little quirks, I love how they take mundane activities or everyday sayings and jumble it up in such an amusing and adorable way. It's those little things that made me fall more in love with them throughout the story. Bree is amazing in this book, she takes charge, doesn't give up and tries with everything she has while Finn is still the steady, strong, protective and fun loving guy we meet in the first book. Their love story is so dame sweet and it makes my heart happy just thinking about them. The ending is truly bittersweet but when I think of a different way it could have been I realize that Akins really did deliver a perfectly fitted ending that ties up the story in a satisfying and hopeful way. 

Bottom line, I loved this book. It has everything I love in an escape, from rip roaring time travel goodness, to head spinning-heart aching romance. This was such a solid sequel and so much fun to read. Loved! I can't wait to see what Akins does next, I'll follow her anywhere.

Find the author:
Goodreads / Website                               5 Snowflakes

0 comments:

Post a Comment