Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Review: A Book of Spirits and Thieves by Morgan Rhodes


A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves #1)by Morgan Rhodes
Expected publication: June 23rd 2015 by Razorbill 


Worlds collide in this suspenseful, page-turning Falling Kingdoms spin-off series, which explores a whole new side of Mytica—and an even darker version of its magic.
Crystal Hatcher, Modern-day Toronto: It’s a normal afternoon in her mother’s antique bookshop when Crys witnesses the unthinkable: her little sister Becca collapses into a coma after becoming mesmerized by a mysterious book written in an unrecognizable language.
Maddox Corso, Ancient Mytica: Maddox Corso doesn’t think much of it when he spots an unfamiliar girl in his small village. Until, that is, he realizes that she is a spirit, and he is the only one who can see or hear her. Her name is Becca Hatcher, and she needs Maddox to help get her home.
Farrell Grayson, Modern-day Toronto: Rich and aimless Farrell Grayson is thrilled when the mysterious leader of the ultra-secret Hawkspear Society invites him into the fold. But when he learns exactly what he has to do to prove himself, Farrell starts to question everything he thought he knew about family, loyalty, and himself…. Fate has brought these young people together, but ancient magic threatens to rip them apart.

My Thoughts

I am a super fan of Morgan Rhodes' Falling Kingdoms series so I knew the second I heard about her new book I had to get my hand on it. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to snag a copy from Penguin's First To Read Program (which I love btw). While I knew what to expect from Morgan's writing I went into this one with a clean slate. I have to say I enjoyed the fantasy world much more than the current day portion of the story. 

As you can tell from the blurb, This story broken into 3 different P.O.V's yet they all have a common thread, the mysterious book. So without giving to much away I will give you a brief run down. A mysterious book shows up at the Hatcher's book store. Crystal opens it and her sister Becca gets somehow transported in a non corporeal form into the world of Mytica while her body seems to be in a coma in her world. Crystal must somehow learn the secrets her family has been hiding for generations before it is to late for her sister and for herself. Farrell is part of a secret society that dole out justice to the creeps of the world and has a leader who has the ability to magically heal people. Maddox has a very unique ability to call spirits to himself and trap them. His evil caretaker has been using him to scam towns people across the land of Mytica. He will learn that his power is so much more than he thought especially when a spirit names Becca shows up and shakes his foundation to the core. See how that came full circle there?? Well, I can't get into much more without spoiling but just know that things get pretty twisted up together. The Falling Kingdoms fan will have fun making the connections.

In true Morgan fashion the world building is incredible!! I just loved the Maddox point of view. I wasn't to impressed with the two present day plot lines BUT once they all tied managed to link up I really thought it was quite brilliant. The level of thought and planning that was put into this really blew me away. 

That being said there was a few things I was disappointed by. All three stories felt really rushed to me for some reason. I felt like I couldn't never quite grasp one plot to much before it was switched again. Under normal circumstances I love multiple view points but these weren't quite deep enough for me. I think there was a clear lack of character development which may be resolved in later books. I guess we shall see.The ending was also quite abrupt, so abrupt that I asked my good friend to tell me what happened as i thought my e-arc had somehow cut off. Aside from those few qualms, I thought this was strong start to a new adventure I can't wait to take!!


3 Snowflakes





0 comments:

Post a Comment